ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR error in Chome - How to fix

Discussion in 'Programming & Development' started by Olayanju Kabir, May 16, 2017.

1. Olayanju Kabir

Olayanju Kabir Itz Kofem Staff Member

With the recent Chrome 57 build, the XSS auditor detection (and blocking capabilities) has been improved to the point that many web-based services suddendly stopped working giving this rather obscure HTTP error:

The issue is almost always caused by some HTML-formatted content being sent via POST within the request, which is a rather common behavior for a number of modern web tools and features – such as WYSIWYG editors, interactive uploaders, AJAX-based CMS real-time updates, and so on.

When the tool is developed by third-parties, the best thing you can do is to open an issue with the developers and make them go through the hassle: however, there are scenarios where you *need* to anticipate the fix by yourself, not to mention the cases when *you* are the tool developer. This is what happened to me yesterday, when I had to apply a quick fix to a tool I coded for a friend of mine a while ago: an interactive electronic invoice display which follows the recent italian electronic invoice PA standards.

What I did there was use an AJAX-based function to pass the whole content of an entire HTML page and then displaying it using the same HTTP request, which was the only working way I found to support the drag-and-drop feature in a cross-browser way: more specifically, I couldn’t use the great HTML5 native drag-drop feature because it’s not working well in IE < 10, which I really had to support. The script worked really well until a couple days ago, when it suddenly started to raise the above error. After digging here and there, I finally stumbled upon this post which (kinda) explained the fact.

According to the post author, the most straightforward way to overcome the issue was adding the following key/value pair to the response headers:

This can be done in a number of ways, depending on the server-side technology you’re using.

Add the following within the Web.Configfile:

Or just add a
    within your MVC controller/ASPX page code.

Use the Header function to add something like the following before the first ouput:

… And so on.

Unfortunately, such approach didn’t fix my problem at all. Then I thought about getting rid of the raw HTML code by encoding it in some convenient way, such as the always-good Base64 schema… And I had much better luck with that.

What I did was downloading this neat jQuery-base64 plugin (many thanks to the author, Tao Klerks), adding it to my HTML page using a standard <script> element within the <head> block and then encoding the input right before POSTing it in the following way:

Then I switched to the server-side PHP code and base64-decoded the received input from the result page – using the PHP-native base64_decode function – in the following way:

… And that was enough to get rid of the ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR error.

That’s it for now: happy coding!
    Last edited: May 16, 2017