Branches of Programming and Programming Language

Discussion in 'Programming & Development' started by Olayanju Kabir, May 21, 2017.

1. Olayanju Kabir

Olayanju Kabir Itz Kofem Staff Member

Types of programming or branches of programming is a common problem to the common people, many people think of getting into programming but they
    end up giving up quite a bit to do so, You know why? All they search for is
    Learn programming, How to become a programmer, how to learn programming for beginners, how to code for beginners. e.t.c And with this strategy one will never go far in programming world just like someone who keep dreaming of becoming a scientist but never dream of going to any branches of Science, to become a programmer you have to select a branch of programming you want to go for, i will try as much as possible to make this article as simple as possible

I am not going to go into detail in defining what programming is because i will assume before entering this thread you should already know what programming is. But in summary programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and computer programming is the act of creating whatever you want with your brain and a computer. You can read more from

Programmers could also be called software programmers, software developers and other big-big names you can think of.

1. Embedded Systems

An embedded system is a multi-agent system and computer system designed for specific control functions within a larger system, often with real-time computing constraints.It is embedded as part of a complete device often including hardware and mechanical parts. By contrast, a general-purpose computer, such as a personal computer (PC), is designed to be flexible and to meet a wide range of end-user needs. Embedded systems control many devices in common use today examples of devices with embedded systems are telephone switches, mobile phones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), mp3 players, mobile phones, videogame consoles, digital cameras, DVD players, GPS, brushless DC motors, induction motors and DC motors.Embedded systems contain processing cores that are either microcontrollers or digital signal processors (DSP).

I don't know too much about embedded systems but i know embedded systems are created mainly with C and Assembly Language. I will come to programming languages later.

2. Desktop applications

An application that runs stand alone in a desktop or laptop computer. such as Opera Browser, Microsoft Office, Corel Draw, Win zip and so on. I am sure you get it. Desktop Applications can run on Windows, Linux, Mac and other Operating Systems. I assume you know what an operating system is [​IMG]
    Desktop applications can be created with a variety of programming languages ranging from C, C++, Java, C#, Python, Visual Basic, Visual Basic.NET etc etc etc. They are a lot of them, like i said earlier we will talk of programming languages later on..

3. Web Applications

A web application is an application that is accessed by users over a network such as the Internet or an intranet. examples of web applications are Facebook, yahoomail, gmail, Nairaland etc. Web applications are also created with a range of programming languages like PHP, Python, JSP/Servlets, ASP, ASP.NET, Ruby etc

4. Mobile Applications

A mobile application (or mobile app) is a software application designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. example of mobile applications are opera mini, UCBrowser, Games etc. Mobile Applications run on different platforms such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android phone or Windows Phone etc. Mobile Applications can be created with Java, Objective-c, c++, C# and so on...

5. Console applications

A console application is a computer program designed to be used via a text-only computer interface, such as a text terminal, the command line interface of some operating systems (Unix, DOS, etc.) or the text-based interface included with most Graphical User Interface (GUI) operating systems, such as the Win32 console in Microsoft Windows, the Terminal in Mac OS X, and xterm in Unix. Console Applications can be created with C, C++, JAVA etc

They are a lot of them, but these are the ones that i could think of at the time of writing.. [​IMG]

1. Java

is an object oriented programming language originally developed by
    James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which has since merged into Oracle
    Corporation). The language derives much of its syntax from C and C++,
    but it has fewer low-level facilities than either of them. Java can be
    used to create Desktop Applications, Web Applications, Console
    Applications and Mobile Applications.

As with any language i will talk about here, they are tons and tons of
    books and articles on the Internet that will teach you any of this
    languages from beginner to intermediate level. The rest is upto you...

I will provide as much links to on-line tutorials as possible, but
    Google is your friend.

Official Tutorial from Oracle:

From Youtube:

2. C

C# is a multi-paradigm programming language encompassing strong typing, imperative, declarative, functional, generic, object-oriented (class-based), and component-oriented programming disciplines. It was developed by Microsoft within its .NET initiative. C# is intended to be a simple, modern, general-purpose, object-oriented programming language.

Where can i learn C#?

Official Tutorials

3. C++

C++ is a statically typed, free-form, multi-paradigm, compiled, general-purpose programming language. It is regarded as an intermediate-level language, as it comprises a combination of both high-level and low-level language features. C++ is one of the most popular programming languages and is implemented on a wide variety of hardware and operating system platforms. As an efficient compiler to native code, its application domains include systems software, application software, device drivers, embedded software, high-performance server and client applications, and entertainment software such as video games.

Where can i learn C++

4. c#

5. Objective C

6. PHP

PHP is an open source server-side scripting language designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages.

7. Assembly Language

8. Javascript

JavaScript is a scripting language commonly implemented as part of a web browser in order to create enhanced user interfaces and dynamic websites.

JavaScript is a prototype-based scripting language that is dynamic, weakly typed and has first-class functions. It uses syntax influenced by the language C. JavaScript copies many names and naming conventions from Java. JavaScript is NOT the-same thing as JAVA

Where can i learn JavaScript?

9. Visual Basic

10. VB.NET

11. ASP

12. ASP.NET

13. PYTHON

Python is a Rapid Application Development(RAD) language which lets you write complex software with less codes. It is made juicier with the arrays of available modules that makes your programming life fun, easy and exciting. As a developer, if you pick up python and dedicate say 2 weeks to learning it, You wont go back.

Python is not only addictive but also clean and organized. You can read through source codes written in python and you know what they do right a way. the syntax design is near perfect as it lets you code without thinking of ending every line with semi-colons, no dollar signs, no var, Dim or the likes. Python developers here can add theirs.

Learn python here => Click Here

14. Ruby

a. HTML

HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is the main markup language for displaying web pages and other information that can be displayed in a web browser. HTML is the language of the web. Every other scripting language runs on HTML. HTML is NOT a Programming Language.

Where can i learn HTML?

b. CSS

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation semantics (the look and formatting) of a document written in a markup language. Its most common application is to style web pages written in HTML and XHTML. Again, CSS is NOT a Programming Language.

Where can i learn CSS?

2. Loading...